Sunday, April 14, 2013

journals

When Diana was a babe, I wrote in her journal every month, carefully documenting milestones, funny things, and general cuteness. Emmy got the same treatment, more or less, Nora, not so much - Isaac -Sarah and Nelson - dismal failure. I wanted to repent, but I didn't know how to make journal writing work for us. I have a firm belief that journals are important. I write daily in mine and have for YEARS (here is the journal pile in my closet - oh what I would not give for more bookshelves in my life - I digress). I find journal writing an important part of my day, part mental hygene, part I don't have to remember it now becuase it is written down, and part proof that my life is important enough to remember.


I was talking to Jessica a few weeks ago and her kids were writing in their journals. They do it every Monday and she has them write one sentence for every year of their age. Brilliant! We have been at it for 3 weeks and it has been an excellent Sunday evening activity for us and since everyone else is doing it I can help Isaac, Sarah and Nelson. The kids are already looking back on past entries with fondness and I hope for a good, interesting history for them to enjoy in the years to come.


3 comments:

Erin said...

You are a rock star! Impressive journal stack! I kept a faithful journal since I was about 10-20- since then not so good- off and on. You've inspired me to be more consistent. I did love it when I could look back to help me remember something.

erika said...

Loooove this idea! I am totally copying. And I am with you on the "not-enough-bookshelves" thing!

Niki said...

Great idea. I've been wanting to do better with journal writing especially for my kids. It's a perfect Sunday morning (we have 1:00 church) activity.