We went a bit out of the ordinary for Chases this Spring Break. I decided that Disneyland is one of those necessary shared cultural experiences and it was time to take the kids. Ryan didn't want/couldn't go and Aunt Mel had been planning a trip with just she and Emmy, so we combined and had a great time.
We drove over on Monday and picked Aunt Mel up at the Long Beach airport and then found a beach. I took a nap and it was lovely. The kids played in the waves, collected ocean stuff (shells, crab legs etc) and rolled in the sand. Grand stuff. When we were all tuckered we headed to Grampy's time share which is always a treat. The World Mark staff are so kind and helpful and the accommodations super nice. I feel spoiled every time we get to use one.
Bright and early on St. Patrick's day we were off and didn't stop all day. It was exhausting. Good thing I took that nap the day before.
Disneyland was supposed to be uber crowded on our two days but it was actually very manageable. We had great luck with lines and fast passes and a lucky unplanned meeting with a princess.
The kids had never done an amusement park so roller coasters etc were all new. Diana LOVED the big rides (Indiana Jones, Space Mt. and the like) and the rest of the kids liked Small World and the Storybook Boat and the Dumbo Ride and Astro Blasters. No one liked the slightly creepy movie rides that were supposed to be for little kids but so dark and noisy and so over-stimulating it was nauseating. Emily thinks all the world leaders should have to ride Small World over and over until they "get" the message. I agree!
Mel and I really enjoyed the shows - Mr. Smythe and Mr. Jones were hilarious and all dancers, singers, and actors did a great job.
Another highlight was JEDI TRAINING! All four older kids got to be trained and it was great, and hilarious, and impressive.
Sarah was super grumpy the second morning, but after a quick wait to meet some princesses and a romp through Pixie Hollow her attitude was much improved.
Tinker Bell had a good time razzing Isaac who "had" to go meet the fairies. Isaac was a great sport through it all.
Final analysis: yes, Disneyland is worth doing. We had a great and exhausting time. I anticipate one more trip in 5-8 years but we are not going to becomes yearly visitors. Also, eat a Dole Whip, it's the only treat worth the money in the park (churros are SO nasty).
4 comments:
Looks like such a fabulous time!!! I'm totally with you on the Disney food, not much of it is worth eating…I can't figure out why people make such a big deal out of it. Next time, come visit us down south in San Diego! :)
Glad your trip to Disneyland was successful! I get a migraine pretty much every trip, but it is worth it every few years.
Also, Happy Birthday!
Thanks for the insight/suggestions. We haven't done Disney yet but plan to when our baby is done with diapers/napping.
Yay! I'm so excited to take the kids someday. We'll probably only go once or twice as well. Looks like a great trip!
Post a Comment