Ryan, our friend Jason, and I did a more serious backpack later in October. We hiked Thunder River off the north Rim. It was about 30 miles, tons of elevation and very cool! It was such a nice week of good company, lots of physical activity, beautiful canyons and no responsibilities.
Starting out after a rough night sleeping in the car (there was a major rain/hail storm and we had no desire to pack up a drenched tent).
Thunder River bursts right out of the canyon wall.
Then slices a path down to the Colorado.
These two took SUCH good care of me and were very patient with my different method for hiking up endless switchbacks. They are machines and just hike hard until they get anaerobic and then take a longer break. I hike one or two switchbacks and then take a super short 2-4 breath break and hike 1-2 more. It all evened out though, but the time I caught them in their long break we were all ready to go some more.
We took a long lunch on the esplanade overlooking the canyon on our hike out. I broke out our stashed oranges and they tasted sososo good.
And back out of the big hole. We smelled REALLY bad but it was a fantastic trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment