Tuesday, January 13, 2009

competition


My kids just do not get it (see title). The kids had a glorious outside day today - 3 plus hours at the zoo and then the rest of the afternoon in the backyard. Ryan is going to be home a little late, so I herded the filthy children indoors around 5pm and told them whoever got through the shower the fastest could choose a movie to watch until Dad got home and we could eat dinner. Diana and Emily understand the whole contest idea pretty well, Nora just hears "choose a movie" and plants herself in front of the movie shelf drooling and fondly stroking her favorite titles.

Diana and Emily quickly strip, potty, and jump in the shower where I wash and scrub and shampoo, focusing on very dirty feet (for although it is January, it was 72 degrees and bare feet were the order of the afternoon). It's all going fine and both are convinced they will be the victor when Diana steps out of the shower first and Emily is suddenly convinced all is lost (Note: Emily does EVERYTHING faster than Diana - Diana is slow, Emily totally had the contest in the bag). Emily falls into despair, throws herself on the bedroom floor, sopping wet with her towel draped over her, crying over and over,

"I REALLY wanted to choose the movie!"

Note: at this point Emily could have totally still won, did I mention Diana is SLOW?

Where is Nora through all this? She finally moves away from the movies (with Mommy help) and is going through the shower ritual, completely convinced she is going to choose the movie.

Diana finishes getting dressed, proclaiming herself the winner - (cue wail from Emily and more, "But I REALLLLLLLLy wanted to choose the movie"). Diana proceeds to rub it in as only an older sister can - REAAAAAALLLLLLLLLY rub it in, Emily keeps crying and Nora, still convinced it is her game, her win, her day, gets dressed.

Somehow in the minutes that follow as we comb hair and get Isaac in his jammies, Emily and Diana proclaim a truce and Emily is declared Diana's helper - They choose Tinkerbell (surprise, surprise). Diana presents her choice to Nora and Nora proceeds to burst into tears, not because she doesn't LOVE Tinkerbell, in fact that was the movie she had chosen as well. No, she is crying because Diana got to choose it.

Anyone who says girls aren't confusing is welcome to my house at bath time any day of the week.

My mom always contended that contention was EVIL and I am inclined to agree with her - bad stuff, it only ends in tears.

2 comments:

emily, etc, etc said...

Whenever I need a good chuckle all I have to do is come to your blog. That truly delivered the chuckle that I needed. What cute girls and actually I'd say they have the whole competition thing down pretty well...don't all competitions end in tears?

emily, etc, etc said...

by the way...72 degree weather? playing outside? barefeet? Can we just say I turned several shades of green (with envy, that is)...Oh well, at least the sun is shinning here today - it may be 38 degrees out, but at least there is sun.