Our carpet is gross. It is original to the house. It had 2 large dogs with the previous owners and has seen 5 kids potty trained. It is stained, matted, and had an exposed tack strip where the tile guys didn't do a very good job re-attaching it when they did the tile several years ago.
We are getting new carpet - HIPHIPHOOOOORAY!
In the never ending and losing battle for clean walls and baseboards, I decided to rip out the carpet myself so I could have some time to touch up paint all the way to the bottom of the baseboards. Isaac turned out to be my super duper helper and I only had to call the neighbor men over once to help move a bunk bed that had an extra mattress and box spring on it.
Note: removing carpet is a dusty, dirty, very satisfying job - the sound of ripping is great.
We began with the family room - by far the dirtiest - piled of fine sand under the pad.
Day 2 was the stairs and landing and girl's room. I had lots of helpers with staple removal (some more effective than others). After day one, Isaac and I were tired of inhaling dust so we were more wise.
This is day 3 I was on my own again to do the blue room and prep my room (we had to move all the food storage down stairs, as well as clothes bins and books - oof). As anyone knows, the prep work for any project is the bulk of the work. When you have kids involved you have to prep to even do your prep. I prepped by popping a HUGE bowl of popcorn and letting them go at it. It gave me a good hour of uninterrupted work and filled them up so much we delayed lunch as well.
Isaac and I graduated to dust masks - a great improvement. Ryan helped get our room done - he is an even better helper than Isaac!
This is the garage after day one - it looks WAY worse and full and disorganized now. And to think, only 4 days ago we could park 2 cars in here.
I started painting today - once again a challenge with kids. so many helpers!
New carpet goes in at the end of next week! I have hoes for being judicious about what we bring back into the house from the garage and what gets the boot! I love a good junk dump.
5 comments:
You are an ambitious woman. We ripped out our carpet here too, and yes, it is disgusting to see what is under there! Especially when there was carpet in the bathrooms and in the laundry room. Eww.
We are jealous! I wish we could get new carpet. Congrats on the new carpet and paint, and an excuse to de-junk!
I hear you on the prep work. When we had our windows redone in 2010, I had to pack up the whole house, as if we were moving. Not so much when we replaced our doors, but still a lot of work. Right now I am repainting all of my basebords and trims, a section at a time, a weekend at a time. It's a boat load of work. Good luck though. Ican't wait to see your new floors.
You are ambitious Marian! I feel like I get nothing done with my children awake.
Hip hip hooray for a junk dump. Purging is my therapy. I think our closets are due up for a good purge.
Post a Comment