Wednesday, September 18, 2013

slipcovered couch

We used to live in a small house. Now we live in a bigger house. We only had one couch in the smaller house but in the bigger another would be so nice. Couches are expensive and kids are hard on furniture. Enter 50% off day at Goodwill and $36 later we were the proud owners of an ugly yet comfortable loveseat and couch.

Isn't she a beut? She is 7 feet long - wow!

A few online tutorials later and I was ready to attack. I decided to use drop cloth because it is 100% cotton (I can dye it if I want), inexpensive, and easy to work with.

First I made what seemed like miles of cording, then covered a few of the cushions to break myself in, since I have done cushions before.  Then Aunt Di came over and helped me fit the back and the inside curve - tricky! You fit a slipcover the same way you fit clothing: inside out.


Next up were the arms and sides - 4 seams meeting in the inside edge about did my little machine in (lots of layers) but we made it.


Moving on to the seat and the "waterfall" front - not too hard. Then the piping along the bottom, the skirt and a few more cushions.


Here she is in her new clothes. I don't know yet if I am brave enough to dye the thing. . . . Maybe I'll just make a bunch of really colorful pillows.



 For those interested in specifics I used 2 full drop cloths (12'X9') and part of a third (you can get them at Harbour Freight on sale and with a coupon for around $13 - a steal if ever there was one), seven 30" zippers (6 cushions and one down the back for easy removal and washing), 3 spools of upholstery thread (I actually ran out on the last cushion) and a lot of welt cording. Hour wise it probably took 12-15 hours, but I have more time than disposable income and I totally feel like I got the great end of this deal. Hip Hip Hooray for my mom who taught me how to sew, Santa Claus who gave me my sewing machine almost 20 years ago, and the BYU costume shop who taught me how to not be scared.

Come take a nap on our couch - it is ready for YOU!


9 comments:

The Atomic Mom said...

What? I can't believe you didn't like the original fabric...it's so granny-tastic!

But seriously, you are talented. That slip cover looks better than the ones you buy in stores.

Stephanie said...

It turned out amazing! You are incredibly talented. I can't imagine doing anything like that--just picking out the fabric for someone else to recover my couch was stressful enough!

erika said...

You never cease to amaze!!! I love seeing your DIY's. Keep them coming!

Emily said...

That turned out great! It really looks amazing. I can't believe you did that. I tried once in college and it was such a nightmare. I especially like how the cushions look so tight and neat. I vote for no dye, colorful pillows. Sounds easier and they can be changed with the seasons.

Jessica said...

You're a crazy woman!

Erin said...

I am super impressed! That is ambitious and cheap with the couch and material being so cheap. My mom reupholstered one couch growing up and it looked like a ton of work. What color could you dye it? Neutrals are very in...

Erin said...

I am super impressed! That is ambitious and cheap with the couch and material being so cheap. My mom reupholstered one couch growing up and it looked like a ton of work. What color could you dye it? Neutrals are very in...

Kori said...

I love your thriftiness Marian!

Anonymous said...

I would for sure go with the colorful pillows-dying can be very scary!