Wednesday, December 11, 2013

small surgery

Nelson was born with a scabby bald spot on the top of his head about the size of a nickle. Since day one doctors have all said it was fine and they could remove it someday. When we switched to our new doctor Dr. C. he said we should get it off since about 15% of these things turn cancerous in the teen years and if Nelson keeps growing like he's started I won't be seeing the top of his head for too much longer, so we decided to get it taken care of.

Here is our before shot with his hair over the spot.

I was worried most about Nelson being hungry all morning since he usually eats straight from 6:30-10 am but today he had to fast and his surgery was at 11:30! He actually did OK with that, but the rest of it was pretty much a joke.


He was mad about the lavender jammies, despite the rocket ships (the toy train was OK though), he was furious about the wrist band so they moved it to his ankle and that was tolerable (barely). He yelled at the blood pressure cuff.... and on and on.




He was certainly not happy to be taken away by the nurse to the actual surgery and the impression I got is that he put up a fight with the mask.

Then, he woke up ANGRY! He yelled and cried to a good half hour (sigh). He finally consented to drink his juice and eat a popsicle, but only just.



He has a nice lightning bolt scar on the top of his head now. 

It was a long, stressful day and I realize this was a WAY EASY surgery with no real risk and very manageable paint. I hat is off to my friends and loved ones who have had to watch their kids deal with major, life threatening stuff.

So, that was our day. Glad it's over.

3 comments:

azandersens said...

Putting a kid under for anything isn't fun - especially the no eating part! Glad he made it through fine. Miss Dr. C.!

The Atomic Mom said...

James would always wake up angry from his tubes surgery as well. I don't know why, but ooooh man, could he raise the roof!

Stephanie said...

That stuff is never fun! Glad it's done though. Poor kid.