Do you remember 4th grade music when you got to play recorders; those irresistible noisy little things that blat out in the key of A? As a teacher of 4th grade music I was a pretty nice lady, until recorders and then all mercy ceased. On the day before we started I gave the kids the lecture and expectations - simply, if you play your recorder when you aren't supposed to I take it away. If you have never held a recorder, you have no idea how hard it is to keep this rule. Inevitably on the first day some kid "forgot" and just had to let out an ear splitting squeal. Whereupon I took away the recorder and made a kid very surprised and sad:(. None the less, recorders were always fun. I loved how the kids got excited to make "real music".
We relived a little 4th grade today, Diana asked to play my recorder and so we had a good hour of her tooting and then Emily got a turn. Em had to go outside because the whole blow gently concept was a little too hard. They had a great time and I was proud of myself for enduring the aimless music making without blowing-up.
2 comments:
This really gave me a smile. We too have recorders, harmonicas,triangles, you name it I think we have it. I usually send everyone downstairs to have "music time".
Melanie's class this year was featured in the end of year program on recorders. They played a song called real cool cats..(Or something like that) It was two notes,A and B, over and over and over and over again. That music teacher is a saint!
Marie...you forgot to mention the MARACAS..chachachachacha!! Marie loved her maracas as a kid, she loved chasing me around with them!
Anyway, I hateed recorder week in elememtary school, for the mere fact that I knew that some other kid had used that recorder and then I had to use it. Even though it was dipped in alcohol, I still was freaky about the germs!
Post a Comment