Friday, February 13, 2009

the cambridge corner

My cousin Emily's handsome hubby was dismayed when a recent post on their family blog featured a photo with an overflowing garbage can in the background (They had just celebrated a b-day, so it was full of paper plates etc). With the unwritten blog rule that all bloggers must be perfect mothers with perfect children and perfectly clean homes, I can understand his frustration, clearly an overflowing garbage can does NOT belong in the blogging world.

I assured Emily that the B.P. (blogging police) would overlook her infraction, just this once! Then I took a good look at my blog and was horrified to note the majority of photos have the "Cambridge Corner" in the background. Explanation: Ryan and I and a 6 week old Diana moved to Cambridge, MA so Ryan could go to MIT. We moved from a 1600 sq ft house that was largely empty to 400 sq ft in a high rise (and yes, our rent was almost as much as our mortgage has been - ah the east coast), but I digress.

It quickly became apparent that we would need to squeeze a desk into our little apt, so, being the nice wife I am, I found one for $20 from some Indian guy who was finishing his MIT stint. The thing weighs a TON and is pretty darn ugly, and unlike the Indian guy, we didn't just sell it to some other grad student when we were done - Oh no, we carted it all the way across the country and here it sits in my kitchen. You know, Brother Brigham did say, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without". Thanks a lot Brigham. The desk is indestructible and will never wear out.

Anyhow, the desk is for art supplies, computer stuff, YM/YW binders, financial documents, Ryan's tax file, and it is surrounded by my recently acquired bean stash (they were on sale and beans have FIBER!). Oh yea, and lets not forget the recycling bucket that lives under the desk when Isaac is asleep and on the desk when he is awake lest the recyclables end up all over the house.

Needless to say, it is a highly functional, but not attractive part of our house. I humbly apologize to the B.P. and all my faithful readers for subjecting the Blogging World to the imperfection.

5 comments:

Steph said...

We'll let you get off with a warning, just this once. :) Actually, I had never even noticed the desk in your pictures. We in the blogworld are really too busy looking at your cute kids!

emily, etc, etc said...

Wow, I have actually never noticed it is your pictures - but now that there is an actual picture of it I have to say it looks familiar - maybe it was embedded in my sub-cranium.

Just as a side note - even when I am not reading anyone's blog; I still come to yours. I find it highly entertaining and well-written. See you in a couple days...

corey said...

Hooray for defying the blogging police! I think we should start a vigilante group and start persecuting the perfect bloggers. But that's just my personal opinion.

erika said...

You are a great writer Mares!

The Atomic Mom said...

Oh my...how could you possible POST that??? I am mortially offended beyond all reason!

Ok, no really, we all have an ugly furniture peice in our homes..it's a rule of being Mormon -- you must have one DI worthy article in your house.