Ryan called yesterday after lunch to tell me our friend Brian Layton (age 37) passed away from a heart attack. It was a total shock and one of those things that makes you sad for you, really sad for his wife Paula and 2 little boys and forces you to think about your own mortality (never fun).
I have known Brian since elementary school (his family lived down the street) and Ryan and he became friends and climbing buddies when Ryan moved to AZ in 1999. I was surprised when I started dating Ryan that we already shared a friend. Brian was even so kind as to sing in the ward choir I directed (a true friend, if ever there was one to sing in a ward choir just because your friend/director asked you to).
Ryan will miss having a friend who is always up for an adventure (Mt., Whitney anyone? Rim to rim Grand Canyon anyone?, Our wives are so mean they won't let us climb Denali, but it sounds like fun anyway). Ryan will miss him.
I was reading the conference issue yesterday and came across Elder Maxwell "We cannot do all the sums or make it all add up because we do not have all the numbers." It is times like this when I am so grateful to have at least a testimony that Heavenly Father is in charge and even though it stinks I know the numbers all add up somewhere (I never liked math anyway) and in the end it will all make sense.
4 comments:
So sad. I like what you said about math. Love you.
I didn't know Brian but I am sorry for your loss of a wonderful friend. My heart breaks for his wife and children. Giving all of my dear ones extra hugs and kisses tonight.
I've seen this all over my facebook the last 24 hrs and I didn't know he was friends with Ryan too. I'm sorry.
My heart aches for sweet Paula (whom I used to babysit) and for the loss of a wonderful man from this life. We need more people like Brian around. I didn't know that he and Ryan were friends. Are you going to the funeral tomorrow?
Post a Comment