Monday, November 10, 2008

Boston


Ryan had an alumni conference in Cambridge, Mass this last weekend and my fantastic in-laws came out to watch the kids so I could go. If you had 24 hours to do whatever you wanted in Boston, all by yourself, what would you choose? I chose the John Adams homes and library and the museum of fine art - ahh. It was a lovely day. Ryan had a good conference and it was great to see some friends. On Saturday before our flight we hit the JFK museum and library (honestly, a bit disappointing as far as presidential libraries go, but still very interesting). We even got to eat some chowder - yummy.

The oldest if the 3 Adams houses.

The Adams library. The son of John Quincy Adams built this to house his father's books. It's made almost all out of stone, including the roof, so it would be fire-proof. John Q. could read and write 13 languages and speak 9 of those!


This was our church building.

It was very nice of them to leave some leaves up for us.

The Charles River

6 comments:

corey said...

Wow -- I'm so jealous! Looked like a beautiful fall day, if you ask me! The Adams house is beautiful!

Steph said...

How fun for you! Glad you got to go. I had so much fun at choir yesterday. You do such a great job. I think I learned more about singing yesterday in that one practice than I ever have before! (Granted, I know very little, but still)! Thanks!

The Atomic Mom said...

Ah! So glad you got to go to Peacefield. I love it there, LOVE IT! Now you have to read the John Adams bio...ya, in your spare time. Isn't that stone libaray, the greatest? I loved the inside of the house as well, so much good history in there.

The other thing I would do in Boston if I only had one day, would be to go out to Concord and go to all of the Literary houses, like Lousia May Alcott, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Waldon Pond, Thoreau's house....that's also really fun.

DAVID BOREN said...

Looks like a great trip! I'm jealous. We need to talk Thanksgiving. Love ya.

emily, etc, etc said...

What a fun trip - I am jealous. I wouldn't know what a vacation without kids feels like, I haven't taken one is years! (I gues I did go on the sisters trip - but I would like one with Scott). I love the John Adams pics.

erika said...

What a cool trip! I'm glad you were able to go. I loved the pictures. I need to read the book.