Monday, November 1, 2010

the bee in my bonnet

I was flipping through Ryan's scouting magazine looking at a photo essay about the 2010 National Jamboree and there in front of my face was a picture of two teenage scouts with their arms draped around 3 professional cheerleaders from the Baltimore Ravens - cleavage oozing, midriffs bare, bits of fabric masquerading as skirts, sexy poses, the whole enchilada!!!!!!!

Who in the name of merit badges and lanyards thought it was a good idea to invite cheerleaders to perform and mingle and who, high up on the endless chain of command in the BSA actually signed off on it??????

There is a lot more I could say, and you can bet your dutch oven I am going to say it to the BSA, Scouting magazine, my stake president, my husband, my uncles and father in law who support scouts to the enth degree. We cannot stand by and let an organization we support as a community and a church, for heaven's sake, encourage immodesty and, yes, I will call it pornography - ouch, but true. We cannot expect young men to become "loyal" husbands and fathers if the organization that is supposed to be building these traits encourages and allows these kinds of exhibitions.

If you get Scouting magazine and the photograph turns your stomach as well, please do something about it. I have a son, and this is a big, scary, immodest world; he doesn't need to get it in scouts!

3 comments:

Michael Boren said...

I still distincly remember when Dad canceled "Boys Life" because of an inappropriatly clad girl. And I say that same pic (the one you saw) just two days ago, and I agree, it shouldn't be happening.

The Atomic Mom said...

Bzzz! Glad to know I'm not the only one that gets bees in their bonnets from time to time.

I looked all over the website and could not find the offending pix, but I don't doubt it was there. I'll write a letter anyway, because I'm in a letter writing mood today, but also because I have issues with the BSA in general and welll....it's a story.

Kori said...

I'm glad I didn't even look through the magazine, just put it in the recycle bin. Thanks for letting us know. Very disappointing.