Tomorrow I will post cute pictures of Sarah throwing a tantrum and say no more about this.
Dear Mr. French, colin.french@scouting.org
My concern relates to a photograph in Scouting Magazine from the recent National Jamboree of two teenage scouts posing with three professional cheerleaders from the Baltimore Ravens. It is completely inappropriate and irresponsible to expose young men to women dressed such as these women were. I know they see it on T.V., in school, at sporting events, and in the movies, but the Boy Scouts of America cannot embrace things that can and will harm the morality of the young men in their care. A lifetime addiction to pornography can start from such simple exposure, especially when it is in the context of a trusted organization such as Scouting. You condone immodesty, sexuality and disrespect for women by allowing such activities. Please consider carefully the influence you hold and the consequences of such decisions. BSA has done so much good for the men in my life. I am surrounded by stalwart Eagle Scouts in my family, church community, and friends, but if this is how BSA chooses to entertain young men I will not support it with my time or money.
Thank you for the great things you do for young men and please, please be more careful in the future. Our young men deserve to be exposed only to that which will enrich and build them, not put them in danger.
Sincerely, Marian Chase
6 comments:
I just sent Colin French a letter and CC'd you on it. Have you mentioned this to my Dad or Uncle Cameron? What does Ernest have to say? He was there. Were these floosyies all over the place?
Good for you Marian! Way to take the time to stand up for what you believe.
I saw the picture and I absolutely agree. What purpose did it serve those boys to have cheerleaders at the Jamboree? No good purpose, at least.
I hope my daughter never wants to be a cheerleader. Why must they dress and dance like strippers? But that is a bee for another bonnet in another post. . .
I had the same experience while flipping through the magazine AFTER David had already had his turn - I was shocked and sent a similar e-mail.
BSA aplogizes: http://is.gd/gD3L2
I am proud to be your cousin and friend! Well done. I think I may actually start writing all those angry and well-thought letters that rattle around in my head about certain issues!
Post a Comment