It was a BIG choir day yesterday for MCO. We recorded our Christmas album (due out in the fall - whoopeeeeeeee - more Christmas music!). Diana end Emily joined the children's choir this semester so they got to quick learn Riu, Riu Chiu and participate (they were pretty excited). We left school early, picked up some alto friends to carpool and headed to PHX to Xavier cathedral to record. Of course we ran late (a fuse blew putting us behind an hour) During the recording there was trouble with toilets flushing and ruining takes, and mysterious conversations going on (bad choir members? ghosts? weird radio feed?), a phone ringing in a hidden office somewhere etc, but the space was beautiful, with incredible re-verb. I could actually HEAR the altos around me and I think it will be a wonderful album. Our hosts were kind, generous and patient (a true feat when dealing with 400 people).
Here are Diana and Emily waiting patiently outside for their turn to record (eating my snap peas). When it became clear we were going to be there a while Emily reminded me we had a pack of UNO cards in the car (thanks Aunt Jessica) and we got a big game going. I'm sorry to all the mom's whose kids got dirty sitting on the ground playing UNO - it had to be done).
Diana and Emily got home around 6:30 least night. The adult choir and orchestra stayed until almost 11pm recording 5 more pieces. Recording is really hard work, but I find it very satisfying. I like the intense focus and it's interesting to learn from others under stress. I was very impressed with Brett and Brandon (our directors). Here they are trying to make a great album and they have put a lot of preparation into deciding what they want. Both are very opinionated and there is a lot going on. Despite the pressures and stress and disagreements they both managed to remain calm, focused, and positive. I was especially impressed at the tone of voice they use with each other as they disagree and work out solutions (we can hear it all because one is in front of us and the other is in the sound booth on a microphone). There was no raised voices, no cattiness - you can tell they really love each other and are working really hard to work positively even when disagreeing - it was a good lesson.
You can be sure I'll let you know when MCO Christmas is released - it will be your new favorite Christmas album!
3 comments:
For the record, the phone belonged the CAMERAMEN. I wanted to punch him! Did you think the whole set-up was a little Wizard of Oz-ish? You know, the booming voice coming from behind the curtain? :)
So cool, can't wait to buy the album!
LOVE, love, love that the beauties are doing choir - what a GREAT experience!
Post a Comment