Saturday, February 18, 2012

sistah/hermana middleton


This, my dears, is Amy Middleton, mission companion extraordinaire. She let me go to church with her on Sunday in Salt Lake and then took my to the airport. It was fantastic to see her face.

Amy came to me in Belize. She  had just left a "difficult" companionship, was made a senior, and was plopped down with me. We had a GREAT companionship. She was patient with me and herself, she was funny, empathetic, a hard worker and a fantastic example of a good communicator. We lived through Hurricane Keith, a mugging, and worse. In lots of ways Amy and I are very different. I am clean to a fault, she is more untidy. She's a night owl, I'm a morning person. Amy is super artistic and I'm musical. Amy taught me that different people can make a great team if they TALK without being afraid (I'm not naturally a good communicator). I am so grateful she was and continues to be my friend and for all she taught me.

After a couple of months Amy was shipped back to Honduras to finish her mission and I figured we would not meet again in the mission. Unexpectedly, I was also sent back to Honduras and Amy was given me AND a greenie (Sister Carty - Hi Mellissa). So there we were, Amy, who had spent a lot of her mission in Belize (an English speaking country), me with 2 months in Honduras at the beginning of my mission and 5 months of English - my Spanish was pretty bad, and Mellissa fresh out of the MTC. We were pretty weak on Spanish but STRONG in love and work and goofiness.

Amy rocks. I don't think I would have survived the mission field without her.

2 comments:

Mellissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mellissa said...

AWESOME picture!
I would have never survived without Amy or YOU!