Sunday, March 30, 2014

a few doings

I am SLOWLY hacking away at some of the more inexpensive projects around here. This month I worked on the desk/bookshelf for Nora and Sarah's room. The desk I got on Craigslist ages ago and the shelf on the side of the road. The desk is wood and fake wood and the shelf very beat up wood, so I used Annie Sloan chalk paint because it's supposed to be amazing at making lots of different materials look the same. It worked fine but I was a little (OK , a lot) shocked at the $40 price tag for a quart of paint - ekk, plus the wax. Needless to say I have made sure to use up every bit on a few other random projects.

Here is the incredibly beautiful before shot.


And here is the after (buttery yellow, of course). Nora has stuffed the shelves with stuffed animals (so much for books on a bookshelf). It matches Nora's new quilt from Grammy perfectly! Hooray. I will take a picture soon - the quilt is amazing!


Sarah, Nelson and I took a jaunt to Ikea and were coveting the hammock.
 

 Spring Break has come and gone. We had a lovely trip to the zoo with friends to kick it off.


Swimming season has started for the brave of heart (I wait until it is 100 degrees for several days in a row to get the water nice and warm).


Up next - ZION NATIONAL PARK and ST. GEORGE - it was epic.

1 comment:

The Atomic Mom said...

So, do you use the chalk board paint as a primer? How does that work?