Wow oh wow! Am I ever proud of the youth, troopers all! As you have probably figured out, we have a new Temple here in Gilbert AZ and our 12,000 kids decided a party was in order, a gift of sorts to celebrate the amazingness of it all. So some adults with WAY more energy, pluck, courage, and sheer grit than I, wrote a script, wrote some songs, choreographed some dances, figured out mountains of logistics (how to move so many people on and off stage, feed them, have potty facilities, costumes, lights, sound, and on and on and on it went). A few thousand random adults on the ward and stake level were assigned to teach the kids all of the above and prep them for the actual celebration. So we sang, we danced, we threw candy, we did sign language, we picked up, dropped off, took pictures, gathered medical forms, texted parents, called, emailed, and then sang and danced some more.
On Saturday rain was in the forecast, but we marched on with the plan of picking up, dropping off, making sure the kids had a jacket and the final rehearsal began. There were a few sprinkles during the afternoon but it seemed that Discovery Park was immune from the storm dumping rain on the rest of the valley. At 6 pm Kate, Hillary and I drove our cars over in possession of 3 of the few "tickets" to sit on the hill and watch live while the rest of the valley watched on TV.
Here is the sky at about 6:15.
At 6:30 it started to rain, OK pour, but we had faith, we prayed for
the rain to stop and did for about 3 minutes and then it rained and
rained and rained all through the entire celebration. What I did not
know is that the youth had been praying too, but not for the rain to
stop but for the show to go on. They knew we were in a drought and that
the rain was needed, but they wanted to give their gift anyway and so
they did, with all their hearts. Those kids sang, danced, cheered and
testified as the heavens dumped much needed rain. I was one proud little
ward music helper!
Hillary our AMAZO secretary (she was the one who had to do all the legal forms, photos, security lanyards and communication), Kate, costumer extraordinaire maker of a million flower clips, sashes and scarfs, and me, music and sign language (I was the one throwing candy and making a complete fool of myself during rehearsals but hey, they knew their songs!).
3 comments:
The you tube version was great and I could see all the rain! I was proud to be from AZ as I watched. I guess you are in the YW presidency in your ward?
I've read several blog posts today about how the rain, even though it was cold and wet, was a more ideal circumstance than the dust. I have to agree with that. Rain is not going to make your asthma flair up.
We watched it on TV and thought it was wonderful! To see those kids carry on through the rain made it that much more inspiring--and you know it will be just that much more memorable for them. I hadn't heard that about them praying for the show to go on instead of for the rain to stop. What amazing selflessness and faith, both! Thanks for all of whatever you did to help it happen!
Post a Comment