Thursday, April 30, 2009

mean mom

This morning breakfast took an hour and a half (argggg), so I deserted and went about my Thursday morning duties: dusting, vacuuming, exercising. While dusting, I finally took the 3 week old balloon off the top of the bookshelf and marched into the kitchen to do the thing in. Nora (whose balloon it was in former times) protested, followed by Emily. I kindly explained that the balloon had to go because if I let them play with it fighting would ensue and that was inconsistent with our goal for 2009 to BE KIND (we're still working on it, as you will see).

Undaunted by their protestations, I took the scissors off the top of the fridge, cut a hole in the balloon and put it in the garbage. Emily did an excellent impression of Luke Skywalker's reaction to Darth Vader's declaration of fatherhood: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Face contorting, etc. Nora followed suit.

So, as you can see, Mom is still working on the 2009 BE KIND goal too, since, at least Emily and Nora would argue, killing a balloon was not kind. At least they are not fighting over it. Sometimes I wish motherhood was more black and white - my life seems to be many shades of gray these days.

5 comments:

corey said...

Don't beat yourself up! Kids have to learn that a mom has her limits. An old balloon is hardly a high price to pay for bad behavior. I bet this morning's breakfast went smoother. At least here's to hoping! (btw, Thursday morning duties include exercise while sick and pregnant? Wow, you really are my hero)

marie said...

I love the goal for 2009. Ours is to be skunk free for the year.

Steph said...

You are too funny. I hate weeks-old balloons floating around my house, too. The key is to kill them when the kids aren't looking, then hide them under the trash so they don't know. They never even remember they existed. :)

Bert and Kelli Millett said...

I just hope the "shades of gray" comment didn't include how you are feeling lately.

Melani Boren said...

Like the Luke parallel, I could imagine it perfectly!!! I got a few weird looks from my students when I laughed out loud in class!!!