Tuesday, May 5, 2009

KABOOOOOOOOOM!

Some friends and I, through one of the over achieving husbands, have become involved in an AMAZING project. We have a local park that is not only an eye-sore, but has become a hang-out for some rather seedy people up to all kinds of no good. This is the only park in walking distance of our neighborhood, so good old Bert took it upon himself to "make a difference" - yea, I have amazing friends. Anyhow, over the course of more than a year he obtained a national grant for an undisclosed, very large amount, plus the expert assistance of a national non-profit called Kaboom and a national chain called Home Depot (heard of them??), to re-build this park.

We adults (with inspiration from our kids) chose the elements for the park and were presented with an incredible design. It is huge, so cool, and will be painted orange and lime green - love it! I would post a design picture, but I deleted it - arg.

The kids of the neighborhood are glazing hand print tiles for a long wall on the 16th. The tiles will be laid, all existing structures will be renovated, and the playground will be built all in ONE DAY by 350 Home Depot employees and 75 community volunteers on May 28th.

Have I mentioned this is HUGE and we are very excited.

So, if you live in Mesa and want to help build, head over to http://www.mesaaz.gov/kaboom and sign up right away. I promise your boss would be thrilled to give you a half day to build a playground. What company wants to be a stick in the mud when it comes to kids???? I will be there in all my glory, helping with the kids activities. Breakfast and lunch will be served, there will be power tools, the mayor, the press, a D.J. etc.etc.etc. Come party with us and then come enjoy the new, improved, better than even Grandpa Brinton (he built the botanical gardens in the park in days gone by) could have imagined it Park of the Canals after June 1st.

7 comments:

Mellissa said...

AWESOME, Marian! It is like a mini Extreme Makeover: Park Addition or something! No one wants a Honduras looking park ANYWHERE close to their house. You go with your community spirit self. I can't wait to see pictures!

The Atomic Mom said...

Lrt's hope the City of Mesa, doesn't decide down the road to mess it up. :)

emily, etc, etc said...

Somehow I am just not surprised that Bert took this on - and I haven't seen him in probably 12 or 13 years! That is so great and I am so excited for you. There is nothing like a great park within walking distance - that is my biggest complaint about where I live. We have lots of parks, but none I can just walk to...
Good luck and I think the whole project sounds great!!!

emily, etc, etc said...

Oh, by the way - to answer your comment on my tomatoes. We are canners - big time! And yes, I love salsa. Also they aren't all tomato plants (he only has like 72 tomato plants - who would need more right); there are some other veggies thrown in there as well. :)

Bert and Kelli Millett said...

Marian, thanks for the call out! You have been invaluable on the committee. Thanks for throwing your support in with the Park of the Canals.

Mellissa said...

um, obviously I meant Edition!!! Late night typing!

Amanda said...

Happy Mother's Day Marian!! Hope you had a great day and that all is well with all of you.