Tuesday, July 27, 2010

sequoia

We are HOME! Many miles were logged on the van and our feet and we had a great time. Over the next few days (or weeks) I'll post about our adventures.

We started in Sequoia National Forest home of the biggest tree in the world. Yes, Nora is in her Sunday dress in the above picture - she threw up her fruit loops on the way up (super windy road) and the only thing in the car was the Sunday clothes. I was very grateful it was washable because it was very dirty by days end.

This is a crazy cabin a rancher built inside a hollow log. Sequoias only die when there is heavy enough snowfall and the tops get so heavy it topples the tree.

Waiting at the shuttle stop - I LOVE national park shuttles - efficient, no car seats to buckle and the drivers are almost always super nice.

Rock scrambling - a Chase family thing.

Because sequoias live so long they are often burned by fire - they just slowly grow over the scars. Fire is actually necessary to open the cones for new seedlings to start.

General Sherman - The biggest tree in the world (by volume - not height)

The bark is amazing.

Walking through a fallen hollowed out tree. This tree has been used as a dwelling, stable, and bar over the years.

This is the root end of the same tree.

Finishing the day off at the pizza factory.

3 comments:

J and A said...

Amazing! Thanks for sharing your sequoia adventures. We're excited to get down there some day in the not too distant future and you just reignited my desire! Such a treat to see your beautiful family and their even more lovely, talented and all-around amazing mother! Love, Anna

The Atomic Mom said...

I loved Sequoia and Yosemite when I was a kiddo. Those trees are still HUGE!

Kori said...

Now I want to plan a vacation and go to all these places, but without kids.