Wednesday, July 28, 2010

yosemite

Ryan and I spent some of our honeymoon eight years ago in Yosemite and have not been back - wow, I'm glad we went again - it is so spectacular! Now, for those planning national park tours know that Yosemite is very crowded, but you certainly can't blame people for wanting to see it too. June is better than July.

This is the view from Glacier Point. You can see the huge U-Shaped valley caused by a glacier and on the right is Half-dome. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Of all the places we went this summer, Yosemite is most like Switzerland, so if you aren't heading for the Alps anytime soon, Yosemite will do in a pinch.

Ryan LOVES Yosemite; he spent a lot of time there as a high school kid and had some great times. Honestly, it was slightly frustrating sometimes because the kids can be a little oblivious to the grand beauty around them and be more interested in the prospect of a snack, oh well, they will learn.

We asked some random kid to take this picture for us - he looked like we asked him to cut off his arm, but did it anyway.

For a two year old Isaac did pretty well, he especially enjoyed the snacks, climbing the rocks and throwing rocks into the rivers.

Sarah gets the A+ baby, stellar traveler, I love this kid award. She spent hours in her car seat and the backpack, endured a crazy eating schedule and was just as happy as can be. She especially loved the backpack, she would sing, play with Dad's neck, say DaDaDaDa, sleep and generally be very amiable. She is a great kid.
The floor of Yosemite Valley is really beautiful and unlike some of the other parks that have very restricted access, in Yosemite you can pretty much go anywhere you want. This is at the end of our first day. We need a car break for Sarah to eat before the hour drive to our hotel.

Ryan had quite a hard time when doing hotel reservations back in April convincing the desk clerks that we only needed one room for all seven of us. Here is how we slept!


This is Isaac on Yosemite day #2 - he was DONE for the moment.

Diana was a super happy kid. She especially liked being in charge of the kid camera I bought for $20. Each kid had a day and it helped them not ask to use my camera every time I pulled it out.

Spring was late in Yosemite this year and the previous year's snowfall had been significant translating to INCREDIBLE water this year. The falls were amazing and the Merced River roaring! I LOVED IT!

Lower Nevada Falls is usually dried up by June, but was far from done his year. It was also really windy at the base so it was super misty and wet!

Ralph the midnight hairdresser was so dedicated throughout our entire vacation. No matter where we went or how far we traveled, he was there for me, and boy do I appreciate his fine work. On another note, can you tell how relaxing vacation is? Don't I look refreshed and rested and ready for anything??!!!?

3 comments:

The Atomic Mom said...

We call him Pierre the Night Stylist at our house. You're brave for posting your morning glory, very brave. :)

azandersens said...

Wow, I haven't been to Yosemite since high school. Your pics make me want to go back. I went in June and it was FREEZING. I love the pics of Half Dome . . . and your bed head. :)

emily, etc, etc said...

Gorgeous pictures! I love the one of the roaring falls - so dramatic!