Tuesday, March 23, 2010

parenthood and my son

Last night I had a headache and was a little tied of being "mom" so I left dinner before everyone else was done and took Isaac upstairs for a bath. Upon entering the bathroom I found an empty bottle of children's allergy benedryl - sticky stuff on floor and counter. Yep, Isaac can open childproof med lids. (This is the time when I ask you to please not judge me for keeping meds in a medicine cupboard with out a lock - thanks, I'm good enough at beating myself up and the situation has already been remedied - thanks). I made Ryan call poison control and they sent the menfolk to the ER because an overdose can cause seizures. We aren't even convinced he got any in his body, let alone an overdose, there was a lot all over the bathroom. Anyhow, the boys finally got home at midnight and Ryan promptly got a fever and aches (he got sick last time he did a stint in the ER too - I think his crazy life has affected his immune system). He is OK this morning, but not 100%. Isaac is more than OK - chipper and none the worse for the wear, although I do think the kid has a death wish. Most of our outlets are covered, but he found the uncovered one that lives behind the laundry baskets (it's laundry day, so the baskets were downstairs) and was giving serious thought to putting a key in the outlet! Isn't parenthood fun?

5 comments:

Kori said...

Spencer ate some dried bleach crystals once but nothing ever came of it. More than anything I beat myself up because it happened at all. There is no way to watch our children every second. It's amazing worse stuff doesn't happen every day.

Rosie Boren said...

boys...

Steph said...

Oh, no. Don't worry. I've called poison control for lots of things--kids eating houseplants, the head of a match, etc. And one was also for a Benedryl overdose. We used to give it to Annika to help her sleep (I'm so beyond judging anyone here!) and we used a different measuring spoon than we usually did and accidentally gave her a triple dose. They told us it would knock her out and to check on her and make sure we could wake her up every couple hours. Well, instead it had the opposite effect and she was wired and awake all night long! Didn't hurt her any. But oh, yes, parenthood is fun. :)

Erika said...

Don't be too hard on yourself Mares! As long as CPS doesn't come calling, you can consider yourself a success! :)

corey said...

Bless you. Parenthood requires rants sometimes, even if it's the greatest job in the world. Thank you!