Monday, September 20, 2010

ouch

I love the book Jane Eyre - always have. I loved it when it earned me my first (and only) A from Mr. Vanek in senior English. I loved it when I wrote another great paper on it in college (for a teacher who not as hard as Mr. V.). I loved it when I got cast as the smallest, most insignificant role in a musical adaptation at BYU. And I still love it. As you can see, perhaps I have loved it too much. My poor copy is dead, so yesterday I threw it, with it's marked up pages and index cards covered in notes about the weather symbolism (for the college paper) in the recycling. I think Santa should bring me a new copy.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh Marian we must be kindred spirits. Jane Eyre is my all time favorite book (even more than Pride and Prejudice "low-be it spoken"). For many years I would read it at least every 6 months and bawl at the wedding scene every time. I have the exact same copy covered in notes but not falling apart yet. I also have a soft gold-leaf cover, and a hard back... possibly one more copy. I'll see if I can find it to give to you if you want it. Everyone keeps buying me copies and I just keep reading my good ol' paperback!:-)

erika said...

One of my favorites too!!!

Bert and Kelli Millett said...

I just finished Emily's Wuthering Heights. Man, you gotta love those Bronte sisters.

The Atomic Mom said...

Marian, you didn't duckt tape it. I'm sure Ryan has some! :)

The other thing is, I've never read the book. I just have seen the movie and I think that's where it will stay with me.