Tuesday, August 16, 2011

what a little times does

School is in full swing and all of a sudden for the first time in years I have some time ALL BY MYSELF every afternoon. At 11:33 Nora skips off to pm Kindergarten, and 3 days a week at 12:25 Issac goes to special ed preschool. The other two days he takes a much needed nap. Sarah naps too, so I get from about 12:30-2:30 EVERY DAY all to myself! I feel like a new woman. So far I have read a conference talk every day in my nice quiet bedroom. I've taken naps, sewed a dress for Diana, planned other sewing projects (that incidentally I don't have to rush through not knowing if I'm ever going to have another chance to work on them, because I know tomorrow will bring, yet again, 2 hours of quiet solitude). I've cleaned off the art wall of all the masterpieces of the last months (a chore best done in private to avoid tears from artists). I've cleaned a drawer that collected heaven knows what and put the contents where they really belong. I have great plans to finally paint the red wall in my kitchen (never loved it). And on and on.

I am fully aware my quiet time will go away in 8 week when baby shows his handsome face, suddenly those two hours will be that middle of the day fall asleep while nursing time, but that's OK too since I'll need the sleep and since there will be only baby and me it will be a real nap, not a keep one ear open so x or y kid doesn't die while I doze.

So today I am feeling grateful for my quiet time - ah!


4 comments:

Niki said...

How wonderful! I could definitely use 2 hours of solitude a few times a week. Although I'd probably just take a nap. I'm so tired these days.

Mellissa said...

You are awesome!
I am glad YOU are back and posting again because reading what you do in your world strengthens me for what I do in mine.
I just finished writing a post for tomorrow along the same lines, though I would have to say that I would give my mother-of-three quiet time to a mother-of-soon-to-be-six anyday.
You are amazing!

Kori said...

Oh, the things we take for granted before children. Enjoy your quiet time.

Bert and Kelli Millett said...

Here, here for quiet afternoons. I so happy for you, your clean wall and drawer.