My cousin Joyce is celebrating her anniversary today and was reminiscing about how hot she was in full nylons at the temple (her escort insisted knee highs were not appropriate). Her memory triggered this memory.
About 2 weeks before the end of my mission in Honduras (where it is VERY HOT - it was May or June), we had a visit from Elder Richard G. Scott - very exciting to be sure. We were reminded that for our meeting with him we needed to be in our best, so we broke out our best and got on a bus. Now, my best had long since become my normal missionary clothes - they had had a long 17 months, so I was clean, but definitely not fancy. I don't know where it came from but it was implied that sisters should wear nylons to the meeting, so I broke out my one pair of knee highs and the brown fake leather flats I had worn maybe twice in the MTC.
I was HOT and MISERABLE!!!!
We arrived well in time before the meeting and the A.P.'s had mail for us. About 6 months before I had written to my mom that my sandals were dying, so if she could send a pair to get me through the last area - great. I never heard anything about it and didn't expect anything, but here were two packages with new sandals - a work pair and a pretty pair!!!
Into the bathroom I went in a quandary. My feet really wanted those new, cool, fresh sandals, but I knew if I asked my native companion's opinion she would vote for the knee highs (she was in a full on suit with nylons and heels - good woman). The fates were on my side however. Out of a stall walked Hna. Jeffs my MTC companion from California. I posed the question and without hesitation she voted for the new pretty sandals!!!! I love California people. Off went the shoes and knee highs and into the garbage they went. Did I mention they looked really BAD with my dress? On went the new sandals - which looked FAB, and my feet were happy.
2 comments:
That is a great story Mares! I loved it.
WE don't ware nylons here in southern CA desert. IT is way too HOT. I would have gone with the sandals too.
Post a Comment