Monday, April 25, 2011

big birthday!

Diana turned 8 on Sunday and the little mommy in me is reeling a bit (when I have a moment to think about it). I mean, eight is big, age of accountability and all that. I have those awful parenting doubts that I haven't done enough in the tender early years to prepare her, but I am sure I have done my best - augggg why don't they just stay babies for a really long time????

On a less stressed and more fun note, Diana had a great birthday - she oooed and ahhhhed over each and every gift, LOVED the purple streamers and balloons, thoroughly enjoyed her calazone and the CRAZY birthday cake that already had 1.5 cubes of butter in the batter and I accidentally added the other half, so it was uber-rich. Not to mention divine cream cheese frosting made with 2 additional cubes of butter and 16 oz of cream cheese - no weight watchers here, I tell you. Of course, I've quoted her before, but Julia Child did say, "Now, if all that butter worries you, just use cream." Don't you worry Julia, we do use cream, often!


Grammy Chase has decided to make each of her grandchildren a quilt for their eighth birthday (I really better stop having kids, it's going to kill her). Anyhow, last summer, she and Diana went fabric shopping and this is the result. If you can believe it, this is Grammy's first one! Doesn't she rock! I especially love the long arm quilting pattern she chose (flowers and butterflies) - perfect.

Diana, as you all know is a great kid! She had been a wonderful guinea pig for Ryan and me and has not seemed to suffer too greatly because of our first time parenting mistakes. I am proud of Diana's great attitude, her intense love, her willingness to do hard things and her rock solid inner compass. She's a good one, but I still wish she hadn't grown up so darn fast!

p.s. There is leftover cake, come over and eat some!!! Your swimming suit will thank you!

4 comments:

Niki said...

Wow, time sure flies doesn't it? We'll be in your shoes in a few months with Adam and I'm already having similar feelings about him growing up, preparing him, etc. Diana's quilt is beautiful- great job Grandma!

erika said...

I love the quilt and I just loved this post! Thanks for making me smile.

Steph said...

They grow up too fast! That quilt is beautiful--what a great tradition. I love the streamers on the chair--how fun!

The Atomic Mom said...

You know I'd be there in a second for the cake. Happy Birthday Baby Princess Diana. :)