Sunday, April 17, 2011

dresses


We had an RM speak today in church about standing up for the right in big and small ways. He talked briefly about a Young Woman here in Mesa who did an interesting Personal Progress project in a stand for modesty. The church made a video about it here. I've modified several dresses for girls in the ward and it's not easy to make it look good and not contrived. I thought this was a great solution!

Side note: I was one of 2 girls at my prom with sleeves - ouch! The other was not LDS, she just had a WAY cool Chinese dress.

6 comments:

elizabeth mckay said...

it's nice to see good things happening!

Rosie Boren said...

I was the ONLY one with sleeves at everyone of my dances... no one ever asked me why though.

The Atomic Mom said...

The sad thing is that, there is a very ready and willing untapped market for modest clothing. If only they'd believe that...

marie said...

Very interesting. I have been to five stores this last week looking for dresses for my girls. I did write to JC Penny and asked them to carry dresses with sleeves and I actually did hear back from them. They told me they like to hear feedback like that and they would send it along to the powers that be.. hopefully! Good for you helping out the girls in your ward!

Anonymous said...

What a great Personal Progress project. I think I'm going to suggest that to Katy. Here in Utah there are HUNDREDS of modest dresses just sitting in college students closets that go totally unused. I'm sure we could gather quite a large number of dresses and not have to do a whole lot of modification. Thanks for posting that video.

Bert and Kelli Millett said...

Two girls with sleeves? Didn't you grow up in Idaho?

And...as fabulous as her serice project was, I don't think I could ever part with my formals. They are going to be heirlooms in 25 years, you know.

Love the girlie dudes in their lovely dresses.