Her mouth is pretty small, her palette (the upper arch of the mouth) is very narrow and there just isn't room for new big teeth to come in. We could have waited to let all the baby teeth go and the adult teeth squeeze in there, but one of her adult bottom teeth was already worn away quite nicely and other permanent teeth would follow and get worn down too, so we decided to get her palette expanded and get the adult teeth some room to come in. She will have the expander and braces for 15ish months to get that all done and then wear a retainer until the rest of the adult teeth come in when she's 12 or 13 and then braces one more time to get everything nice and straight and in a good bite.
So, off Diana went to the orthodontist all cute and excited for x-rays and payment and spacers (just a little sore) and the like. All was well until yesterday when at 7am she got the real hardware in there. She was OK with instillation and going to school excited to show off, but by the time she got home the glamor was definitely gone and reality had set in. Ryan and I had both tried to gently tell her that braces, especially at first really make your mouth really sore and are uncomfortable, but in her excitement, she was impervious to our words.
To add insult to injury she got violently ill this morning and thew up 13 times (she kept track). She is feeling better now and is keeping Gatorade down, but it has not been that happiest 2 days of Diana's life. She begged me this morning to take her back to the orthodontist to get her braces off (ouchy mommy moment). All I could do was assure her that her mouth would heal, she would get used to the braces being there, they would not be there forever, and that she would be able to once again eat comfortably.
Here are the before and after shots:
7 comments:
That is so sad! I hope she feels better soon.
The expander in not fun. I had it in highschool. I called it the bone breaker. Pretty much that is what it does. I say better now than later. High school is ruff, but having a gap in the middle of your teeth the size of the grand canyon is not fun when you are 15.
Poor Miss Di. We are putting off our own trip to the ortho. We've got some serious teeth issues to deal with in the future.
All we can say is she is LOVELY! Grandpa would wear those braces for her if he could. Love you Biggest LIttlest
Oh, I feel for her. At least they expand the teeth now. Back when I had my braces, they just pulled all of my teeth out. Now every time I get a new dentist, they just say something like, "Oh you had braces didn't you?" Just take your tylenol and all will be well Dianna. :)
13 times! Oh my goodness, poor, Diana! That sounds pretty painful to have your palate expanded. She is a brave little girl, that is for sure. AND I LOVE the pictures. They are absolutely perfect!
Oh sooooo sad!!! What a brave little thing...Lily would have been very very difficult to deal with in that situation. What a little darling!
PS You are a good mom to make sure she has plenty of room in her mouth and a nice smile too...I think it so important (for girls especially). Despite her pain now she should thank you heartily in the future!
Post a Comment