For those following the intense math saga at the Chase house, today was a good day. In Mesa Public Schools to become a 2nd grade MATH MASTER you have to pass both a subtraction and addition timed test. Most of Diana's class passed the first time around back in September or something like that, but she has doggedly pursued this title (and the prize of a big pen) all year long. In the third quarter she passed the addition, but subtraction still eluded her grasp. She and Ryan practiced most nights for weeks and months, getting those tricky 15, 14, and 13's and today was the day!
Hippy, yipee, skipee she passed! I am super proud af her for sticking with the practice - beacuse, let's face it, math facts are not great fun, even if you do get to stay up for 10 minutes with Dad. I am also really grateful she got to learn the lesson that you can set a goal, work hard, and achieve (I wasn't ready for her to learn the lesson: you can work really hard and still not get what you are working for, we'll save that one for later).
4 comments:
So MPS is still torturing kids with those timed tests? I remember HATEING those things, because all of my friends (who were always in the upper reading group and in ELP) whizzed thru them, while I struggled.
I'm glad Dianna got the pen. But don't beat yourself up honey! I was just like you.
AMAZING! Passing the test is wonderful but the grit and determination for studying are of much greater value.
Yah! Diana- way to go!!
Love this post!
Post a Comment