Thursday, May 19, 2011

a story

This story inspired by this story.


Once upon a time, Marian was engaged to Ryan and Ryan went to Japan. Before he left, Ryan gave Marian a key to his house because it would soon be their house and he figured she should have some freedom alone there to poke around without violating dating rules of not being in bedrooms etc, so she knew all about her new house.

She took some time to poke around and came away very sad that such a nice boy slept in a pitiful little twin bed set up in the middle of a big master bedroom, with a pile of books, a phone on the floor and an ironing board. She however, liked the house and was happy it was going to be theirs soon.

When Ryan returned from Asia, he took Marian to dinner, and as engaged couples do they started one of those conversations about life, family etc and she asked with all assurance that he would agree, if it would be OK if they never had guns in their house. Ryan stopped chewing, got a really funny look on his face, Marian's confidence in her presumptuous request plummeted and Ryan asked, "Didn't you go into the walk in closet in the master bedroom?". She assured him she had. He asked, "Didn't you see the six guns in there?" (SIX??!?!?!!?!?). She assured him she hadn't, rearranged her face and attitude and steered the conversation to the responsibility of gun owning parents to keep children safe, educated and SAFE.

O the presumption of a naive, engaged girl! Thankfully Ryan was more mature and able to take it all in stride and we found a solution that makes us both feel safe and comfortable. I'm glad he still married me. I also learned that Ryan is very good at resolving differences in opinion without getting emotional, fighting, or being rude - I'm grateful!

2 comments:

erika said...

Nice boys are so great to be married to aren't they?
Cute story Marian. I always love your posts.

Mellissa said...

This is a great story. I will be checking back later for another....:) I love the way you write! And, I wouldn't have expected less from your great man!)