Monday, September 26, 2011

more sewing (don't worry, this will stop soon)

Cousin Robert and his wife Stephanie are expecting a baby girl in a few weeks. Stephanie LOVES orange, so here is what we came up with - orange with ruffles! Yes, this is yet again the same pattern - yipeeee! Honestly, she doesn't need anything, we went to the baby shower and I have never in my life seen so many baby clothes - NEVER! If I was having a girl I would have asked for the dress back. (not really - a girl can never have too many clothes, just ask Aunt Di).

Last year, when my friend Mellissa was expecting her 3rd, she broke out her old baby stuff, bouncer, swing, etc, and decided to update. At the time, I thought it was a little silly recovering it all, but then I thought again about how visually crazy and cluttered our house gets with all the different patterns on  the extra furniture and saw the wisdom in her actions (sorry for doubting you Mellissa). For example, the above is the fabric of our bouncer - aughhhhhhhhhhhh! Add that to the southwest couch I despise, the striped chair, the carpet, etc, etc, and we have a visual nightmare - not soothing. Anyhow, I decided to recover the swing and the bouncy seat in plain, unbleached muslin - visual neutrality. Yes, I know they will get gross, but they are scotch guarded and machine washable and this is the last Chase baby, both pieces were second hand and so their life will end with this baby (unless someone out there is dying for baby equipment 10 + years old).

The results. I'm not an expert cover maker, but I think it will do the trick.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I hear ya with too many crazy patterns. I like the white. And easy to clean is the most important thing. That dress is adorable. I don't know how you do it!

Mellissa said...

WOOT! Looks great, Marian. White is SO smart.

The Atomic Mom said...

Nice. I think that about baby stuff as well...some of those colors are so sick and crazy. And I don't mean "cool" sick like kids say, but sick, sick like...that color of pink reminds me of Pepto Bismol and that makes me sick.