Wednesday, August 6, 2008

ode to Corey

Today is Corey Johnson's b-day and for those of you who don't know her, you are REALLY missing out. I met Corey at BYU, then ran into her husband our first week in Cambridge, Massachusetts in the elevator (I thought he was his twin brother who sat next to me in Concert Choir at the Y). Over the next two years Corey became a true and lovely friend, something I really valued at grad school where there was so much come and go. We were there only 2 years (with 7 months of that off on an internship) and some of the longer timers would dismiss those of us on shorter stays as not worth befriending because it was either not worth the effort or as one girl put it as she was basically telling me why we weren't going to be friends; it was too hard to see so many friends leave. But did Corey act like that??? NO! She was a friend and took you for as long as MIT or Harvard or whatever else was getting you to Massachusetts let you be there.

Corey is talented, smart, and funny, funny, funny. She has a great outlook on life, spiritually and otherwise. She takes hard knocks with grace and humor (a replaced hip, pregnancy, living in 800 sq feet for 7 years, etc, etc,). Corey loves to read, eat, laugh, walk, watch baseball (SOX), and is a fantastic mom to her 3 hilarious kids. On a side note, I must share my favorite Ethan line. Ethan was I think 3 when he said this one. He was watching Barney a show he did not enjoy, and when Corey asked him why he was watching it, he just looked at her and said, "Mom, Barney is a dinosaur, one day he's going to eat those kids!". So you see, anyone who had a kid that smart, funny, and great has to be so herself.

So, I raise my glass to Corey and thank my lucky stars she is my friend. Love you girl.

2 comments:

emily, etc, etc said...

uh....my birthday is March 7th (but you knew that already). What a nice tribute to a good friend. I love what her son said about Barney. That would be a truly historical episode...

corey said...

You're a wonderful friend, Marian -- and no hint that you blogged this far-too-nice tribute -- and I didn't find it until today! I'm glad we're only a few hours from you, and we will have to arrange a visit. I will always cherish our vt visits together, going to institute, and hanging out with our little tiny babies Elliot and Diana, marveling that she could crawl backward but not forwards. I always love that we can get past the pleasantries (of which there are many) and talk about the reality of life. I respect you as a wonderful mother, wife, and example to me as an extremely hard worker for the cause of Zion. This Sunday I'm giving a talk and the RS lesson, and when Cort asked me if that was too much for me to handle, I said (and I am NOT kidding), "Nah. I'll just channel a little Marian Chase to give me strength." Love you, babe.