We started our morning so well. I got up, read my scriptures, got kids dressed, hair done, fed and on the bus. Nora and Isaac settled into Sesame Street and I fed Sarah then exercised, showered, started the laundry and we were off to the bank and Sam's club. We made it through Sam's with butter, cheese, noodles, toothpaste, soap, and veggis. We hit the potties and were off in record time. Here is where it all started to unwind. I looked at the clock and realized we had enough time to hit the library quickly to pick up a few Mercy Watsons and a movie or two. We parked in 15 minute parking, I grabbed my baby, Isaac, Nora and my wallet and in we went. We successfully secured our books, put two on hold and checked out a movie I've had a hankering to see again after being reminded of it's existence in a doctor's office a few weeks ago. So, we were at the check out, all was well and I realize I do not have my keys!! I checked my pockets - nope - and the recesses of Sarah's chair - nope. Nope Nope NOPE!
I do not have a cell phone. Ryan does. Ryan's cell phone has caller ID. He does not pick up when he sees the strange pay phone #. Note: I am soooo grateful I have a calling card that works at pay phones. Have I mentioned, Emily's bus is due at the bus stop any moment by this time? I am feeling discouraged, I can't get Ryan, I can't get my one friend whose # I know by heart. You get the picture.
Thankfully, the school gets a hold of Ryan and he figures out the strange calls were from me and picks up the next time I call. He gets a hold of a friend who lets the bus driver know what has happened. Bruce, the bus driver, of course, can't let Em off the bus, so she goes back to school and has a jolly time eating cafeteria food and hanging with the office ladies. Ryan says he will call me back and come and bail us out.
So, here we are. Nora, Miss perfect, is reading books. Isaac, Mr. 2 year old is climbing the post office fence, running away, and touching EVERY bike in the bike rack. Sarah, upon whose good will we have tresspassed most brutally, decides she is starving, so I'm sitting on an overturned newspaper dispenser by the pay phone nursing, while Mr. Preserve our Water, and Mr. Legalize Medical Weed, and some other petition guy do their thing in front of the library, some couple has a VERY strange argument, the Heritage HS kids tromp by, patrons come, and patrons go. etc.
Ryan makes it, my keys are in my purse in the car, Emily is happy eating her chicken patty in the office when I pick her up, our perishables from Sam's are OK, lunch is consumed by all and the laundry rolls on.
Ryan is my hero. Let's just say, today was not the ideal day for him to drop everything and rescue his wife. But, let me tell you, the man has his priorities straight and like any chivalrous knight, he knows his first responsibility is to his very own damsel in distress. You bet he got a kiss.
11 comments:
Nothing like motherhood. Grandma McKay had a similar experience but no knight to save her. She decided a movie would be a good family home evening activity so off to the old Mesa Theater we went. All of us jumped out of the car and headed off to buy tickets. Grandma comes up and ask if any of us had her keys. Nope. So she heads back to the car to find the doors locked and the motor still running. Can't remeber how she got the keys back but I know we saw the movie.
Marian, you are a stand up comic. I seriously LOVED this story! Thanks for brightening my day! Those kids are lucky to have you as their momma! (And you and Ryan are lucky to have eachother) :)
I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal but you sure have a good attitude about it. I'm sure you already know about pay by the minute cell phones- which is what I use- and they are great. No monthly fees, you can get a great phone, and I only pay 10 cents a minute! Anyways, I'm glad everything worked out and your day still sounded very productive despite your set back.
I'd save you, but I'm muy lejos. I could do with a good grunt right now, I miss man grunt, all the men here are too educated for it. Thanks for your comments on my blog, I do appreciate them. Love Ya!
We've all been there and I'm glad that Emily was okay. Good to know there are nice bus drivers like Bruce to protect our children from scary neighbors like me. :)
I'm going to read it again. I love this story! And glad it all worked out.
Such frustrating moments! Glad Ryan could come rescue you. Reminds me of when Annika locked me out of the house and couldn't unlock the door. But that time Dennon couldn't leave work. Fortunately, I eventually found out the back door was unlocked.
You are a hilarious writer!
Perhaps a set of keys closer to home??
WOW, You have a much cheerier attitude toward Ryan than I would have had. I would have been ripping him a new one about how he should have just magically known it was me on the cell phone or better yet he should just get one for me and all this could have been avoided - basically what I am saying is I would have been an irractional banshee trying to blame anyone for my mistake. I am very proud of you...
This same thing happened to me when I was 8 months pregnant with Gracie in Washington. I locked my keys in the car at the library. I didn't have a cell phone either or even some change. So the librarian let me use the phone and I called the only person whose number I had memorized; by friend who had an 11-month baby. when I called I told her what had happened and asked if she could come and get me and the kids and take us home (it was raining hard; go figure; and my house was about a mile and half away up the hill). She told me she had just put the baby down and couldn't come get me. I started crying right there on the spot after she humg up. Some strange man in the libraby overheard the whole thing and offered to take us all home. All I could think about was that he was a rapist and I would surely die if I agreed. Ignoring the pesimist in me I did agree and loaded my two young children and my pregnant belly into his car (which also contained two large dogs...I don't like dogs). I did get home safely and he was very nice to help me out. I found a way in the house and called Scott. I am pretty sure I chewed him out because I was feeling so stupid. Despite this he was still kind enough to drive all the way home (he was working in Seattle at the time...not close) and unlock my car at the library. My friend's husband came home and found out about all this and was livid with her for not helping. She apologized profusely, I forgave her and we are still dear friends today...
OK, so that was long...sorry. I just thought you might like to know that you aren't the only girl to have locked your keys in the car at la biblioteca. And I think you are so good for not getting mad at Ryan at all. I have been trying to be better about not taking things out on Scott...I think I getting there.
You do realize your folly was in doing 11 things in one day. One thing, dear one thing, a day and you will be all set. I haven't done 11 things in one day since college -- or since you and I were VT partners. Miss you, hon -- hey, we may be going through Phnx in June. Mind if we crash at your place? I'll catch up with you a little closer to the time... :)
I love your power over the written word. Bummer of a day, but glad to hear you can laugh about it so soon after. That is healthy. :) You are a trooper. Unfortunately I have a small collection of those horror story days too, but the one that came first to my mind was a grocery trip where my then 4-yr old son and 3-yr old daughter who are the loudest children I have born were doing their screaming-est trip yet. I had a 5-ish month old at the time too (the 5 yr old was at school).
It got so bad I just tried to find a quiet aisle and sat down middway between ends, leaning against one side and let each older child sit on a knee and lean on me and get it all out. (The baby waited patiently in his cart, thank heavens.) We'd only been in this town a month or two and I didn't know the store layout and was perplexed to find that what I had assumed to be a quiet aisle apparently had a popular item right above my head which several people came and plucked up off the shelf while I sat there looking so interesting and giving a "sorry I'm in your way" effort of a smile to each. When things toned down later and we stood to resume our shopping I realized it was a popular brand of coffee over my head. Go figure. :)
Keep on keeping on. You are fabulous. Love you, Anna
Post a Comment