Saturday, October 22, 2011

a wee bit chaotic

So here we are doing Nelson's first diaper change at home! No more privacy than a goldfish - poor kid.

By the way, I was informed the girls did their own hair while I was gone, not Ryan. I guess they ALL need to learn how to do hair. I'll add it to the list.



We are surviving OK. Nelson is not a great sleeper. His night is a tad messed up (he and I are usually up for one long 2 hour stretch - ikk), but all in all I'm not dying from lack of sleep. He is super sweet when he isn't fussy and I'm enjoying his baby smell and littleness (such as it is).

The ward and family have been incredible with meals and help and kindness and general concern for our well-being and sanity. I feel so well cared for and very loved. People are so good.

I had a humbling experience on Tuesday. Tuesday is park day for our ward and even though we are still "recovering" I felt like we should go and let Nora, Isaac and Sarah have a break from the house. When we got to the appointed park no one from the ward was there, but a nice mom with two little girls let me share her bench. She was wearing a hat and had some kind of medical "thing" on her arm and as we talked I learned she has stage 4 lymphoma (cancer) and so for the next EIGHT months she gets bi-monthly chemo treatments. Did I mention she has 4 kids ages 9-2? On top of that. she has two sisters with cancer (different kinds) and one just passed away. There is nothing like learning about someone else's challenge to make me feel so grateful for the smallness of my own. I was really glad I got to meet her and that she shared her experience with me.

2 comments:

erika said...

Your little family is so cute Marian! Way to go to get out of the house with your kids. What a sad story about the woman at the park! I'm sure you were able to make her day better too.

Kori said...

Thanks for being a great example and friends Marian, your the best!