Tuesday, January 5, 2010

the dress

Sarah's blessing dress was made by my Grandma Boren years ago. She made 4 - one for each of her grown children for their granddaughters. Diana, Nora, and 2 nieces have been blessed in it so far. Grandma was an INCREDIBLE crocheter. I have 2 other big girl dresses she made just waiting for Diana to grow a little more. She also crocheted her KING SIZE bed spread!

Funny story: when Diana was born I made a blessing dress out of left over silk from my wedding dress. The morning of the blessing came and I couldn't get it over her big head! I was grateful to have such an incredible spare. Emily wore the wedding dress one, being my most petite. I love both dresses.

4 comments:

Kori said...

Very cool! I crochet a little and I KNOW that was hard. I think passing down dresses for girls is precious.

Vinyl Masterpiece said...

Your grandmother was very talented at many things. The dress is amazing.

Erin

erika said...

Marian, you MUST post a picture of the wedding dress one! I'll bet it is amazing!
I was so bummed I couldn't use the crochet blessing dress my mom had seeing as I had two babies to bless and OF COURSE they had to match. Maybe I should have just borrowed one from you guys? :)
Love your blog.

emily, etc, etc said...

All the the DeLong granddaughters have been blessed on ours (except Sam and Melissa's girls - I sometimes wonder if the two of them will feel left out a bit). It has been a wonderful tradition. Grandma really was amazing!